Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Prothe's Pecans

I use my ACORN small cookie cutter to trim the edge of the pie...I took a knife and added a criss-cross pattern, but you can't see that too well. My stomach saw it real well though!
Every spring and fall the county south of where I live (country drive heaven) has a wonderful farm tour. One of the farms I love is Prothe's Pecan Farm.

They have a tractor and take you out to this majestic view where you can take in miles of patch work farmland. Oh, how I would love to have a home right on that very spot and watch the springtime lightening storms roll in. There is a 10 mile plus view in all directions.

Mr. Prothe's ancestors established the farm in 1879. Can you imagine a farm being in your family generation after generation? Quite the accomplishment. He has a grandson in training who I have no doubt will run the farm some day. He helps his Grandpa with the farm tour and knows more about Pecans and their history than all of us put together.


Each year the tour ends the same way. Me buying bags of their fresh delicious nothing like you ever tasted from the store pecans and harassing Mrs. Prothe about writing a pecan cookbook. Each year she responds "I know, I know...I really should".


For those of you who have never, ever made a pecan pie, let me put ALL of your fears at ease. It is THE EASIEST pie recipe you could ever make.



Southern Pecan Pie


The goods: 3 eggs
1/3 cup melted butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup pecans
1 cup dark corn syrup
pie crust (I cheat and use Pillsbury)




Directions: Beat eggs thoroughly with sugar, a dash of salt, corn syrup & melted butter. Add pecans.

Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

Cool. Make a pot of some good french roast coffee, whip up
fresh whip cream. Maybe grate a smidgen of whole nutmeg with a
microplane on top of your whip cream. Enjoy!

Springtime!

Spring has sprung and I am enjoying every little blossom and bird that comes my way! Have a beautiful day my friends!