Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Jamesport Part II

Okay....since I don't have a picture of the cake recipe, I thought I would give you a picture of a nice latte that you could have with a piece of this cake. But first, I must tell you a little story about obtaining this recipe. On one of my trip to Jamesport, as tradition we had lunch at the Gingerich Dutch Pantry . They were serving a wonderful dessert and also had a VAT O'SAUCE that you ladled on top of your cake.
Well you didn't know I died, went to heaven, and came back to share this recipe with you...did you? ANYHOW....many months later, unable to get the recipe out of my mind, and asked after the recipe and the owner Ada Mae personally came out, with her recipes in tow and shared it with me! If you every get a chance to visit this lovely community, stop by. You won't regret it!

Mystery Cake
1 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. soda
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
Mix dry ingredients. Beat in one egg, add 2c. Fruit Cocktail(this is the mystery ingredient wink...wink) and mix well. Put into greased 13 x 9 pan. Top with 1/2 c. brown sugar and 1/2 cup nuts (I use pecans or walnuts). Sprinkle on top of cake and bake at 325 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
The Sauce
1/2c. butter
1/2c. cream
1c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix all ingredients on stove top and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes until nice and golden. Serve over cake.

1 comment:

Simply Debbie said...

HELLO,
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR SHARING THIS RECIPE.
I CANNOT WAIT TO TRY IT.
THANK YOU
BLESSINGS
debbie

Springtime!

Spring has sprung and I am enjoying every little blossom and bird that comes my way! Have a beautiful day my friends!